School Choice for the 2019-20 School Year
- Click here to apply for 2018-19 Good Cause "Choice"
- Click here to apply for 2019-20 Good Cause "Choice"
- Click here to apply for 2019-20 Kindergarten "Choice"
- Grades 1-12: The application period for Delaware's "School Choice" Program officially closed on January 9, 2019. Moving forward, the only new applications that will be considered are those from families who meet the criteria for "Good Cause," and the parents of a child entering Kindergarten in the Fall of 2019.
Wednesday, February 26, 2019 – Parents notified of Invitation Status by the District.
Friday, March 15, 2019 – Parents responsible for notifying the District of Acceptance Decision. (Due to high demand, Districts cannot maintain openings for families who do not respond affirmatively by the established deadline.)
- Kindergarten: School Choice remains open until the first day of school provided there is available capacity.
ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA (in order of priority):
- Returning students who continue to meet the school requirements.
- Siblings of students already enrolled in the school who will be returning to the school for the following academic year. Siblings of students living in the district will be given priority over siblings not living in the district.
- Children of employees.
- Students living within the Appoquinimink School District.
- Students residing outside the district.
Within each category, if applications for the school exceed the number of available seats, a computer lottery process will be used for selection. All remaining students will be placed on the "wait list" based on category and random number within that category.
- In accordance with State law, families will be given until the second Wednesday in January to submit "school choice" applications for the following year.
- Parents/guardians may continue to apply for "choice" consideration if: 1) Good cause exists and/or 2) They are the parent of an incoming kindergarten student and there is capacity at the kindergarten center. More information can be found on the GOOD CAUSE and KINDERGARTEN CHOICE buttons to the right.
- IMPORTANT: Students who are not already registered in a Delaware public school must register at their feeder pattern/resident school before they can apply for consideration in the "school choice" program.
- Families who live outside the feeder pattern for the choice school must be prepared to transport their child to school, or to the nearest available bus stop that falls within the choice school's feeder pattern. But assignments and stops for all choice students will be issued by the Transportation Department by mid-August. Once the pick-up and drip-off locations are established, parents must assume the responsibility to have the student at the designated location. Parent/guardians are responsible for picking up their child at the bus stop when school is dismissed early or if the opening of school is delayed.
- The rules of the Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (DIAA) shall be followed with regard to the eligibility of transferring students. For a copy of the DIAA handbook, contact DIAA at (302) 857-3365.
- If you have a question regarding the School Choice program or application process, please contact Julie Lauderbaugh at (302) 376-4135, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The School Choice Program falls under Delaware State Law-Title 14, Chapter 4. For a copy, click here.
- An Information Meeting about the application process for the 2019-20 school year will occur on October 23, at 6:30 p.m. at the Marion E. Proffitt Training Center, 118 S. Sixth Street, Odessa, DE.
Families interested in the School Choice Program are strongly encouraged to read the Appoquinimink School District's Choice Policy and Procedures, posted below.